Cost of living's a bit higher in Asheville, as it is down near the coast.

The Piedmont probably offers the best compromise between lower cost of
living and accessibility to both the mountains & the sea.

If I was looking to move to North Carolina from out of state, and was
not constrained by having to live where I had a job waiting, I'd take a
real close look at the area around Asheboro where the NC Zoo is located.

All the other good parts of living in North Carolina are relatively easy
to get to from there.