mike wilson wrote:

>> On 19 April 2016 at 17:34 Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com> wrote:
>>
>> John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I doubt that will affect the front end of the delivery queue. Those
>> >cameras have already been shipped, and besides I'm pretty sure Pentax
>> >assembles the K-1 in the Philippines or Vietnam.
>> >
>> >It might affect those of us who are/were planning on waiting for a bit
>> >before buying.
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me if Sony had already made every sensor that's
>> ever going to go into a K-1. Update cycles are pretty short these
>> days.
>
>You guys never heard of Just In Time stock control?  Nobody carries excess
>stock
>these days.

I certainly have (having worked in Components Engineeering in a past
life) but that isn't likely in this situation. Changing a large,
complex fab for something like a 24mm x 36mm sensor is a massive
undertaking, so it's done as rarely as practical. For a relatively low
demand yet high complexity device like this any requests for Just in
Time delivery are going to be laughed at. Sony will run the fab for a
set period of time, fulfilling the orders that have been placed, and
that will likely be it for the year (or some lengthy period of time).

By the way, the company I worked for in Rochester was bitten by
overzealous pursuit of the "inventory is evil" mindset many times.
They'd have some exotic (expensive) RF semiconductors left after a
production run and promptly sell them off to a broker, despite
warnings from myself and others in the Components Engineering
Department. A few years later we'd get an order for a new batch of the
same product and discover, to the bean counter's surprise but not
mine, that the exotic part had been obsoleted and that, short of
re-engineering the same product all over again, our only choice was to
buy the semiconductors back from the same broker we sold them to – at
literally 10 times the price. This happened repeatedly. In the case of
highly specialized parts, sometimes inventory doesn't depreciate but
actually increases in value. They never learned.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com

---