On Apr 20, 2016, at 1:28 PM, John Coyle <jco...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> I once worked for a company on a remote island where JIT stock control was
> impossible - ships only
> every three months, and no airport.  So you ordered what you thought you
> would need for at least six
> months in advance.

I remember many moons ago when the lead-time for the flash-memory chips used by
one of our products was 2 years.  Which also happened to be the time it took to
build a new fab to make them :)  Current production was 100% committed so if
you wanted more you had to wait for the new plant to be built.

Thinking back to those times I'm surprised I didn't turn to alcohol... I should
hang up my Six Sigma Lean Design Black Belt plaque.  Might make a good dart
board.

Cheers,
Dave