How fancy you need to go depends on what you are editing, imho. Eg: if
you are doing portrait retouching you need to go way upscale in specs.
If you are just doing basic edits on the usual sorts of subjects, you
can get away with a lesser monitor.

If your budget can afford it though, I *highly* recommend a 4K or 5K
monitor. IPS of course. Gamut wider than basic sRGB. And yes, beware
of any monitor that can't be dimmed enough for proper calibration.

In my case I got all that plus a computer for free by buying a 27" 5K
Retina iMac. But there are plenty of 4K monitors out there now in the
21" to 30" range.

--
-bmw