Godfrey:
That's a wonderfully formulated description. I wish I've seen it laid out this clearly many years ago, instead of collecting bits and pieces from various sources.

BTW, for the benefit of Mark and others interested in the question: here is a nice illustration of various color gamuts in relation to the CMYK gamut. It illustrates the "hierarchy" of the gamuts:
https://goo.gl/UJkgIr .
Roughly, one can assume that the maximum color gamut of a photo printer
does not exceed CMYK, but the particular paper (and ink-set) can make it yet smaller.

Mark,

To clarify what I meant: When you calibrate a monitor, you create a monitor profile and the OS uses it to set the monitor accordingly.
That assures that the color with a particular combination of parameters
is presented according to the accepted "standard".

At the same time, programs should use that profile to know how to interpret the images they are working with for correct presentation on the monitor. I.e., a program should know what should be the output colorspace to peform the correct translation from whatever colorspace used to store the image. Some software does not consult the current profile, just assuming that the monitor is using SRGB colorspace.
In that case, if you force the monitor itself (internally) to imitate
SRGB colorspace, then the image would look "close enough".
That'sin a way bringing the mountain to Muhammad. ;-)

At least, that's how it works on Windows (or my interpretation of it).

Cheers,

Igor