Larry Colen wrote:

>It seems that the longest macro currently produced for K-mount might be
>about 100mm.  I've heard mention of a 200mm, and I have an old manual
>focus 135 1:2 macro.

Well, *I* have a Sigma EX180mm f/3.5 macro which I will *never* part
with! Bwahahahaha!

That aside, I think the lack of a full-frame camera to put it on has
discouraged most lens makers from making anything longer than 100mm in
a macro lens. In terms of filling the frame 100mm is pretty long in
APS-C format, even though the magnification is no greater than it is
on full-frame.

Your main option is scouring the used market. The Pentax A*200 macro
is reputed to be superb and the FA*200 even better. And there's the
aforementioned Sigma 180 macro, which goes to 1:1 and is optically and
mechanically superb. I think Sigma's 150mm macro is/was available in
Pentax mount, too.

You may also want to look into achromatic screw-in diopters. The good
ones really are very good. And when shooting macro I often find myself
working at very small apertures where diffraction is the main
limitation on sharpness, so I think the small losses from the diopter
is insignificant.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com