The old TTL system was better IMHO, because of its off-the-film/CCD metering sensor inside the mirror house. The camera would quench the flash output when there was enough light, just like a good ol' LX on auto metering. I loved that for macro.

Have you noticed any sample variation between your 360FGZ's?
I remember I gave up on my 540 FGZ because of variation in both output power and color temperature even in manual flash. The Metz units I have now are much more consistent, even across camera models.

I wonder if the transition to P-TTL was actually brought about by a shift in the way of thinking about high-speed flash. The old TTL units (like A400-T or 500 FTZ) could quench the flash output very fast, and thereby freezing motion while moving the shutter at sync-speed. The advent of P-TTL, OTOH, coincided with development of the "hi-speed sync" where the flash duration is much longer and the camera shutter speed does the motion freezing. In this case, the camera and flash needs to know in advance how much light to supply, hence the preflash.

Jostein