Leaving aside a few snappies of a sleeping cat, I haven’t actually exercised
the new camera yet. But I did take time out from a couple of pressing projects
to work through the basic camera set-up.In most cases that meant trying to
replicate the control layout and choices I have on the K-3 and 645Z so that I
have consistency across the three bodies. E.g., consistent dial rotation on all
three.

One disappointment so far. A few generations ago Pentax blessed us with the RAW
button. Which allows one to switch from RAW to jpg at a whim from shot to shot.
Over time IIRC that morphed into a RAW/Fx button which could optionally be
programmed to do something else other than RAW/jpg switching. On the 645Z, K-3,
and maybe earlier bodies the RAW/Fx could be setup to turn bracketing on. (But
not off. Which always puzzled me.)

On the K-1, we are blessed with two (2) Fx buttons. Either can be set up to do
inconsequential things like choosing RAW/jpg, turning the horizontal level
display on/off, etc. Neither can be set to turn on bracketing. To bracket one
must go to the mode control, Up-Arrow, Right-Arrow across to the bracketing
choice… The new Smart Dial on the top has a Bracket selection, but all that
does is to let you control with the third control dial  the bracketing spread.
I will struggle through and manage to cope

The camera looks good (except for the loss of most top deck display area),
feels good, feels solid. I had expected it to be a touch taller, may have to
consider the grip.

Really Right Stuff has an L-bracket in the works available for preorder. Kirk
has a camera plate in the works, available for preorder.

Time for my Sunday morning Bloody Maria and then I’ll start fine-tuning AF on a
few lenses…

stan