Thanks everyone for the replies. Confirms what I thought it was.

There's a young chap at work who's into film in a big way and I lent
him some of my equipment to get started on developing. He's been at it
for a year now and, having seen his work, I thought it would be low
risk to take up his offer of processing. This was the first time he's
had such a problem and I put the loss of 6 frames down to a learning
experience for him! They were architectural shots so I can go back and
redo them if I feel the urge.

He uses a Leica M5 mostly, but he's got an MX and an ME Super so he's one of us.

Chris