I hear so much bad math, that I hadn't noticed.

On 6/20/2016 4:15 PM, Gonz wrote:
I like his math.  Pentax $1800, Canon $3600.  "Pentax is 100% cheaper
than the Canon"

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 9:19 PM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6/19/2016 3:20 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
Tony Northrup did a review of the K-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIVfRji8JMM

I can't really argue with any of the points he makes on the various
shortcomings of the K-1. He is also generous with his praise on the
things he likes.

In short, he loves it for landscape, it sucks at sports, he doesn't like
it for portraiture for the same reasons he doesn't like it for sports
(focus points and buffer size), tethering sucks (USB 2.0 WTF???)
But he does love a lot of the features it has: tilt screen, gps, wifi ...

He makes a good point on lens availability and cost. I think that will
change over time.

I don't understood the complaint regarding portraiture, but I don't machine
gun portraits as my studio lights take a small amount of time to regenerate,
and if I don't have the subject's cooperation, I'm probably not shooting
portraits anyway. Manual focus on the K-1 is easy enough and if I can't put
a focus point right where I want it, I can always crop a bit after the fact.
He has an unusual portrait shooting style, and he bases his
recommendation that the K-1 is poor for portraiture off that. Well
that says much more about the reviewer than the reviewed for me.

His argument about the system price of body plus three must-have
lenses on all-Pentax body and glass versus the Nikon or Canon and the
cheapest 3rd-party glass out there. Ummm... a trifle skewed?

He has valid arguments but he seems to just end up on the tired old
thing about "you really want to stay with Canon and Nikon because ...
Canon and Nikon."

And you know, tethering is weak. It's weak or non-existent on all
Pentax cameras, 645's included. But I'd bet good money that the
audience that watches his reviews don't tether. Tethering is for
studio shooters who are doing well paid ad campaigns or fashion
shoots, on the whole. They are in a whole different league. It will
help Pentax to fix that eventually, but I think his harping on that
one specifically when stuff like poor AF speed are out there is
pointless.

--
-bmw

immortality through not dying.