De: Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv>
Para: pentax list <PDML@pdml.net>
Enviado: Martes 5 de julio de 2016 16:52
Asunto: Re: OT Brexit Aftermath

On 5/7/16, Daniel J. Matyola, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Doesn't that make the referendum meaningless?

Yes and no.

We don't have proportional representation - we elect MPs to look after
our interests in parliament. With the way our system works, I would have
been in favour of our elected MPs (after due diligence in listening to
their constituents) voting in parliament on our behalf.

Sadly the PM promised a public referendum and the result is now a matter
of fact.

I say this because in my opinion a lot of people were not educated
enough to understand what they were voting for/against. There appeared
to be a public backlash based on misinformation and lack of ability to
seemingly gather facts independently.

This article might be of interest:

<http://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/divided-
britain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster>

alternative link:

<http://tinyurl.com/hpv5j99>

>Certainly some people might
>vote for Labour on other grounds, even though they do not want to remain in
>the EU.

But surely a potential government promising a superseding of the
referendum result would attract pro-EU voters and dissuade anti-EU
voters. The opposition party (in power) have promised to uphold the
referendum result and leave the EU, so in a general election that might
be their promise, though I think they would lose.

>The whole idea of a referendum is to isolate those other factors
>and get a decision on the single issue:  leave or stay.

I understand and agree - but in politics there are many ways to skin a
cat (and a voter!).

>The Leave issue is a complex one, based on emotion as well as on political
>principles.  I think Britain's departure would be a great loss for the rest
>of Europe, but the British people have to decide what is best for them. I
>just hope it all get sorted out without too much additional turmoil and
>economic harm to all concerned.

Amen to that!

--

Cheers,