Stan,

You raised an interesting question.
The thought of the ultrasound being heard by some animals/birds had crossed my mind before. I had not got to read about that actual design of the motor until your post nudged me. Prior to that I was somewhat dismissing "ultrasonic" assuming it could've been just a marketing term that has nothing to do with the original meaning of the word (as "Nano" i-Pod :-) ). But no, it looks like the motor indeed may be using vibration at ultrasonic frequencies (above 20 kHz). I'd be curious to know which frequencies they actually use.

I have never been exposed to any work with ultrasound (short of ultrasonic cleaners and patient side of ultrasound imaging). From the general principles, I'd say it should be easy to damp those vibrations to avoid "leakage" to the outside, but I don't know if anybody cared about that.

In principle, the body of the lens should attenuate the ultrasound drastically. But only a careful measurement could tell for sure.
Or you can watch how a bat reacts when you activate AF in your SDM lens.
:-)
I'll try to do that next time I am at a zoo with bats (although they are usually behind the glass, so it is not a "clean" experiment).

Got a barn with bats? ;-)

Or, if you have a friend who is an ultrasound imaging technician, bring your camera with the lens, and activate AF near the imaging "probe". If you see some distortions of the image (AF on vs. AF off), you have leakage. If you don't, - it's inconclusive: it might be that the frequency ranges are too different, and the imaging instrument is not sensitive to the SDM's frequency.

Cheers,

Igor