You won't see another lens use the SDM motor that was in the 17-70,
60-250,50-135, 16-50, etc ever again. They revived the branding for
the tamron lenses, which frankly was a serious mistake and has led to
a lot of confusion. The motors are built by tamron in those lenses and
are comparable to the DC motors pentax is using now.