Jack, the blip of light from a 540 at 1/64th power should easily
freeze hummer wings, But I suspect you had enough ambient light to
compete with your flash. You need to cut out the ambient so the flash
is the sole source of illumination if you want to use the flash to
freeze action.

Try shooting the same scene both with and without the flash added to
see the effect. If you have the flash set up correctly the scene
without the flash should be black or just about.

Also, the flash duration (t.1 time) is really short even at 1/2 or 1/4
power on a 540 flash. I'd try shooting the birds with the flash at
about 1/4 power and with the head zoomed to the narrowest beam. Then
set the shutter for 1/180th sec (use X-sync), stop down the aperture,
and even attach a neutral density filter if the exposure at the bird
is still too high. This should eliminate the ambient light pretty
nicely.

--
-bmw