On 8/2/2016 8:48 PM, Jack Davis wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Bruce.
I believe I'd need at least  6000 fps
in order to stop the wings and I have
a number of perched quietly feeding
already. :)
The 540 1/1=1200, so maybe 1/5+?
I have frozen wings at a shutter speed of 6400.
Thanks again!

Several years ago, I was visiting Tom C at his home in Idaho. His wife had what seemed like dozens of hummingbird feeders strewn about the outside of the house. When I arrived, the noise of them outside the door was really freaky, it was like running a gauntlet of locusts. The morning I left, I was sitting having coffee with Tom amid these literally hundreds of Hummers when one chose to alight on my hand and stay for several seconds.
It was one of the most magical moments of my life.

I found that they are quite hard to photograph, I was using a K10 at the time, and out of dozens of exposures, I managed to get one that I was reasonably happy with.

bill