> On Aug 14, 2016, at 2:54 AM, Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv> wrote:
>
> Thanks all for the recommendations - and Anthony Farr via Facebook!
>
> I will do some more research.
>
> One option is that I have a Mac PowerBook 1400 in the attic - could be
> time to fire her up........

Wow, now that's an amusing antique. Brings back memories: The PowerBook 1400
was the last laptop I worked on at Apple before leaving for Sun Micro in 1997.
I think I finally ditched mine a few years ago.

Given the fact that I now shoot film on a very limited basis and modern digital
cameras with 35mm-sized 24Mpixel sensors are easily available, I've taken to
'scanning' 35mm film with setups like the Leica SL or M-P using a Spiratone
Vario-Dupliscope fitted with a mount adapter for a few frames here and there.
The quality it produces is remarkably good: this photo of my grandfather was
made from an ancient, heavily damaged, incorrectly exposed and processed
negative I found in a batch of old negs from my father's and uncle's youth:

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8565/28944922876_3ae2f47625_o.jpg

To process it, I used a customized camera calibration profile to do the basic
inversion and gamma correction on the DNG capture, saved that as a TIFF file,
and then edited the TIFF to this state. It was fun, and fun to see my
grandfather as a youngish man again. (He died in 1970 at age 72, so would be
about age 53 in this photo.)

enjoy,
—
The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.