OK - here's an off-the-wall possible solution - as suggested by my printer repair people.

Power from the electric company isn't always a perfect sine wave and sometimes has imperceptible (to us) voltage spikes. Sometimes these are picked up by the e-prom on the printer's motherboard, alters the e-prom's programming and causes the printer to do strange things. In the case of my R2000, it decided to run a head cleaning cycle before printing every print.

The repair shop's solution - they had seen this problem before, particularly with HP printers - is this:

Unplug the power cord from the wall so there's no power going to the printer - just turning the printer off won't work. Leave it sit for 6-8 hours, then plug it back in and see if the problem is gone. Leaving it sit with no power going to it will allow the spurious voltages to dissipate and return the e-prom to a normal state.

I know this sounds goofy, but it worked for me. :-):-)

-p