Bill,

While I haven't dealt with this myself, you have very little control of how the payer is charged. I am aware of the situation when a person in Russia was trying to pay for something charged in USD (to a US-based company). So, he used his bank account that was in USD. But because his account's address was in Russia, he was charged in roubles, charged a currency conversion (RUB->USD) fee, and then the bank has also charged him a currency conversion fee (USD->RUB). So, this person ended up paying a double-conversion fee.
I am not sure how and IF that can be avoided in that situation.
One has to read Paypal's TOS and all the fine print, and possibly talk with their customer support.

I suspect that the best you can try in this situation for yourself is to specify the amount in CAD. (As Mark C. has suggested.) Can you "invoice" him via Paypal?

And yes, beware of the seller's fee (some %) that Paypal will take from that amount.

HTH,

Igor