Thanks Paul and everyone else too. I suspect that's the best option. Any
old DSLR with a kit lens would do. A phone or tablet is problematic as his
hands are unsteady so something with an eye level finder is helpful in that
he can steady it against his face and put on a tripod if necessary.

I like the under water housing idea, but guess that's impractical. A WiFi
enabled camera and tablet remote is good and so is Larry's local kid idea.
I'll pass them all on and let you know how he gets on.

Chris