I never want the focus to change when I press the shutter release half
way.

What I do on the K10D, K20D, K3 & K1 is use the back AF button
exclusively for focus with the shutter release only tripping the shutter.

That may just be how the back AF button & AF.C work together, but I
couldn't find that explicitly stated in the manuals.

It may be that AF.S works differently.