John,

While I understand your thoughts (and sarcasm), I would like to point out that quite some people use their cell phones to access a web site. I was checking the outage extent from my cell when we lost the power (happened 2-3 times in a row last year).

Besides, depending on the extent of the outage, internet might still be working for some time after it. If, say, the outage is limited to your subdivision, the modem is supposed to have a battery in it, and so does the pole/cable equipment. Then it would depend how well the ISP maintains those batteries; it varies.

And as far the personal computer equipment goes, - people often have routers on a UPS, and some folks even have their own backup power generators.

Igor