Ann, a lot of people who should have known better during the 1930's admired the First Leader of the Third Reich. It's been remarked that if he had died in early 1939 instead of when he did, he'd be remembered as the man who rebuilt Germany and restored her to for front of the family of nations, abet at some cost to a few racial minorities.

You shouldn't hold poor Edward's bromance against him, or you'll have to hold it against FDR, Joe Kennedy, Lindbergh, and a host of others. Edward probably wasn't any worse than the average European at the time, it takes time to wake up from a spell, and not all wake up at the same time. Not everyone can be Churchill.