Yes that crop is what I was thinking about when I suggested it. The original image can stand by itself but by eliminating that part of the sky that is featureless you've improved the image IMO. You have to ask what does a featureless sky add ?

BTW the sky shows more features in the original than I recall.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Malcolm Smith" <rrve...@virginmedia.com>
Subject: RE: PESO Stepping stones

Eric Featherstone wrote:

Well I decided to try a crop something like Ken suggested:
https://flic.kr/p/NRsvBg
For reference, here's the original https://flic.kr/p/Nv3gsy

(And another from a slightly different viewpoint https://flic.kr/p/MTiNUe )

When you have an uninteresting sky - one without detail - and there is much to be seen in the rest of the image, I suppose the question is how much does
that sky add to the image, and if little, how much is worth retaining? Is
the image improved with  some of the sky being removed, or could it have
gone the whole way with the full removal? At the end of the day, as the
photographer, how do you want us to see the scene?

I'm now going to sidestep this by saying I love the clouds in the picture
from a different viewpoint!

Malcolm