Everyone is different. There is no right and wrong. The quality of a fixed
focal length lens is, in 95 per cent of the times, better than the quality of
a zoom. Does it matter? Not if you are making prints 8X10 or less or if you
are printing out on a inkjet or using a cheap photo lab.
    There are good reasons for using both zooms and fixed focal length. Why
carry around a big, heavy 28-100 zoom if you can carry an elegant 28mm and a
100mm f2.8. Your end result will be better, your load lighter and ...
Saying this, I have many zooms that I use often and enjoy very much.
They include:
28-105,
75-150
70-210
100-300
Sometimes I take one or two zooms to photograph a particular subject. If
buying zooms, however, get the best you can to maximize quality. P.S. that
does not mean the most expoensive...