Bill you obviously feel strongly about this. Can you learn better with a
50mm? Maybe. I don't see why? Maybe the argument is that you can learn to see
better with a prime lens rather than a zoom. I'm not sure about that either.
I know the old school of thought certainly pushes this concept. But things
have changed. I think the best way to study light is to use your eyes. You
don't even need a camera or a lens.
It's not worth worrying about. Some Students will benefit from the simplicity
of a 50 mm lens. Others will flourish with the versatility of a zoom lens.
There's no easy answers here.
Vic