That may be.

The experience I have was when I had to install Yosemite on my Mac Mini
& I couldn't connect the Mini to the internet.

The instructions I got told me to format a thumb drive FAT32 using
Windoze and download the OS from Apple onto the thumb drive and that the
Mac Mini would be able to read & install Yosemite from the FAT32 thumb
drive.

I did & it did.