It kind of depends on the bus speed. However all other things being equal, the Thumb drives should be faster than a cd/dvd drive. All things are seldom equal.

The one thing that is sure, the 32 gig thumb drives will require less user intervention assuming you packed as many files onto the thumb drives and dvd's as possible.