More than likely you have USB 2.0 unless someone intentionally installed a separate USB 3.0 card when they refurbished it. Like Larry saie, USB 3.0 ports are usually blue colored. Most external hard drives are backward compatible to USB 2.0. Just check the specs on the box before you buy. The only downside is the USB 2.0 transfer speed will be slower. Just start backing things up the last thing you do before you go to be and let it run overnight.

-p