Frankly, I think a portrait goes a little deeper than that.  Elliott
Erwitt's famous portrait of Pablo Casals, taken without the maestro
present, is an example that comes to mind.  In this photograph there is
no likeness of Casals, yet by photographing his cello and bow, resting
on a chair in the room in which Casals often played, and by taking full
advantage of light and shadow, we are able to see and feel the context
in which Casals exists, and thereby get some sense of the man.  Is this
any less of a portrait than a head-and-shoulders shot of the great
cellist.

The point of a portrait is, I think, to show us something about the
person, to reach beyond a reproduction of a face or form, and allow the
viewer to get some sense of the subject.  The famous photo of a Texas
death row inmate's hands through the bars of his cell reflects more
about the man behind the bars, his environment and condition, than might
have been captured with a more traditional portrait.

Does one really need to see a likeness of a person in order to know
something about that person?

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]