On our visits to Sydney we've found public transport to be pretty good outside
of rush hour.  We haven't used the buses but we use the rail and ferry services
quite a lot.  But we normally just travel within the CBD with a trip or two
across to Manly.  We'd buy a multi-day pass to cover the length of our stay but
I think it's all changed to the Opal card since we were last over there.  I
assume it's similar to the Myki in Melbourne which we found very good.

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/index.page?

Note the airport rail connection is quite expensive but it's not far in a taxi.
 I think the prices work out fairly similar.

Cheers,
Dave