That's a nice full frame shot, Eric.. But as there are so many good elements in that photo I could also get several pleasant crops out of it were I an editor and needed to have a photo in a certain aspect ratio...

I read Stan's comment as a bit of a toungue in cheek admonishment. He has been travelling a lot lately and doubless has been in many situations where weather, geography,physical condition and having equipment at the ready have all been challenging. I think we all shot framing as best we can given other variables.. it is a fair question if you have perfect elements and all are under your control.

When shooting slides for stock, needless to say, you have to have the full frame (the full frame that is visible in a slide mount, that is.. it is never quite the full frame unless you didnt have the slides mounted.) be "good". I often shot several versions in the field and in the field duplicates too as most of what I felt would be good for stock was shot with several lenses at hand and camera on tripod.

But the final crop as someone else already said is the print that you show or the file that you show is what matters... better to shoot loose and get the action than zoom in in the field in chancy situations... with time to spare I will often frame as I see a static scene ideally (for my taste) and then widen the view just a tad...

thjat really is the great thing about digital versus film when your eyes are failing.. you can adjust the edges afterward.

ann