That might make sense if there was any evidence at all that Ricoh has any interest at all in building an advanced mirrorless camera line. They had the basis for one and decided do quietly drop it, (and I don't mean either Pentax product). What this reminds me of more than anything is the Canon EOS SL but at a higher level.

Pentax was actually gaining traction in the DSLR mindspace with the K-5/K-3 cameras. In fact a lot of Nikon D300 users actually were posting a few years ago that those cameras were the true successors to the D300 that Nikon couldn't be bothered to build.

I wasn't going to voice this but, what it looks to me more than anything, is that the Nikon D500 frightened Ricoh into ceding the field of advanced to semi pro APS-C DSLRs to Nikon. Ricoh decided that they couldn't really compete with Nikon if they decided to build a real flagship APS-C DSLR, so they're sticking to the advanced amateur level with features that no one else is bothering with.

I mean just look at the specifications, USB 2.0, the lower specification SD card/bus speed than any other advanced camera using SD cards. Single SD card slot, well I assume that because if it were dual slots they'd surely mention that in the specifications. Slower maximum mechanical shutter speed, with no mention of a cyclic life longer than 100,000.

Really this is pretty much the mechanics of a K-70 with mostly software tricks to make it seem like an advanced camera. Sure there are lots of dials and I kind of like that but the guts of the camera seem to be not much more than a K-70 with a bigger buffer.

About the only specification that seems to be advanced is the new High ISO limit.