I usually do not go into speculations about Pentax plans, but here, the situation seems to be rather logical. (But who said that Pentax is always logical?!)

It is very logical if KP is _not_ the flagman of the APS-C lineup.
Based on the specs and trends, it sounds like it would be a continuation of the "intermediate" line in Pentax APS-C family. Clearly, its features (and somewhere specs, I believe, e.g. fps) are overall below those of K-3/K-3ii.

It would make sense from the marketing/sales point of view, and Pentax has done this before: First a lower model with some more advanced features, then the higher(-est) model with all those feature plus some. It also gives them a chance to test and correct something in the flagman model based on the market response to this one.

Hence, I am putting my big furry hat [*] on and making this prediction (or rather a proclamation): Pentax/Ricoh must release yet another APS-C DSLR
in the near future to be the successor of K3ii.
The hat has spoken!

[*] That is unrelated to Cotty's seasoned hat. It is a reference to the LSSC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRMnJDgStTw

Igor