Ann,

In PS, it's under Filters / Stylize / Find Edges.

Re: texture
It depends on the photo. If the objects of interest are reasonably uniformly exposed, and if there is a reasonable contrast (I've working with B&W renditions) between the object(S) and the surrounding, you can use Layer -> Adjustment Layer -> Threshold,
combined with Levels.
Essentially, you make the picture "binary", separating black and white, eliminating all grey in between. (Effectively, you collapse all grey one way or the other.) If you still have some speckles, you can clean them up by, e.g. choosing the black areas using the "magic wand" tool, and then Select-> Inverse [selection]. Once all "white" and "grey" areas have been chosen, you can either "fill" them with a white color, erase, cut, or whatever... .. and then use a white background/layer to re-create the continuous white.

I've done something along those lines once or twice before.
In this photo: http://42graphy.komkon.org/swing/ch-2008/1-selected/IMGP4530_1.html
I believe, I also added "invert" under "Adjustment Layer".

I briefly saw how this feature showed up in color when I was working on the photo I posted a day ago, but I didn't like what I saw.

Actually, the inspiration for this manipulation comes from when I am doing sharpening in LR. When I choose the mask for sharpening (Alt + moving the slider), LR shows a very similar view, - essentially the edges that get sharpened.

Igor