Well, the test results are back and not a trace of misbehavior on the part
of either the flash or body; which is almost worse than otherwise
[systematic errors are much easier to identify].  So I havent a clue
<still>.  I tried to vary things up as much as possible, and even shot in
dim conditions WELL outside of the predescribed range of my flash... but
nothing close to the aforementioned bad results.

Thanks all for your replies nonetheless. At least now I better understand
what it definitely isn't [e.g., based on your emails I understand now that
its not a sync problem], and what it still might be.  Ultimately I think I
will leave it to Pentax to decide (I'm still under warranty). In the
meantime, I'll just have to decide if I send the camera before or after a
wedding I'm going to on June 23. If I send it before, I likely wont get it
back soon enough, and since I'm using 400 speed print film (the camera and
flash are now 1 for 1 on print film), I'm thinking of taking my chances.

Thanks again, you all have been very insightful, as always.
     jerome