Jerome,

I just looked at the pictures, the subject matter, and the equipment list.  I think
you have operator error, a problem with the 'wet-ware'. <g>

Try seeing how far out (distance) you can use that AF330FTZ flash.  Try some test
shots.  Look for flash confirmation signals in the viewfinder or on the flash.

My AF500FTZ with an onboard zoom feature doesn't work with the kind of subjects you
are taking.  You look to be far away or the animals would be frightened.  Your film is
slow.  Your flash is weak.  You've got to get a tripod and an available light exposure
with these kind of conditions.  That flash is only gonna help you indoors! (well,
mainly...)

Regards,  Bob S.

Jerome wrote:
 The equipment is a follows:
 ZX-5n (bought about 6 months ago)
 Pentax SMCP-FA 80-320mm f/4.5-5.6 (4 months old)
 Pentax AF-330FTZ Electronic Zoom Flash (over a year old)
 Film: usually Elite Chrome 100, sometimes E100s.