On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> There were a couple of embarrassing moments on the first couple of days
> in the USA when we simply forgot that tipping was expected for almost
> any service.

Not "almost every service," but many more than in Canada, the UK and Europe.

In Japan, almost no one tips.  When we checked into of the the better
hotels in Tokyo, the desk clerk summoned a bell person to take the bags for
the three of us.  She was a small and lean young woman, and seemed to
struggle a bit, so I felt a bit sorry for her.  After she showed us around
our suite, and started to leave, I tried to hand her a tip.  She refused,
very politely.  When I offered it again, indicating how helpful she was,
she smiled, shook her head, apologized in Japanese, and then bowed three
times as she backed out of the room. Later, a representative of the tour
company went out of his way to help me and then took our bags himself to
the area where the tour company would pick them up to truck to Kyoto (the
Shinkansen, or "bullet train," has no provisions for baggage), I offered a
tip which he politely but most firmly refused.  In Beijing, everyone
welcomed (and seem to expect) tips.

Dan Matyola