With most bird species, the males are most attractive. That’s not true of our
common house sparrow, as the ladies are quite lovely, while the coloring and
marking of the males is garish and borderline ugly. Here’s a pretty girl in my
backyard. I think this might have the best detail of any of my bird shots. K-1
in crop mode, with the DA F 150-450 and the DA 1.4X converter. This is close to
full frame. Shot from about 20 feet away off a tripod, while sipping on some
good scotch whiskey.

https://www.photo.net/photo/18354996/female-sparrow