John,

That information is correct, but if you are digging to the full depth, in Windows, in the NTFS, there are 4 dates pertaining to the file:
("MACE") "Create", "Modify", "Access", and "Entry Modified".
(Ref: http://forensicswiki.org/wiki/New_Technology_File_System_(NTFS) )

Different file systems (DOS) have different structure.
All these are separate from Exif, which is written inside the file and is system-independent.

The timestamp that is typically changed by Windows programs (including FastStone Image Viewer) is "Modified".

Which time is reported - depends on the program, and could depend on the view/mode. E.g. under "File Explorer" in Win 10 (aka Windows Explorer in Win 7 and before), in "details" view, you can right-click on the header of any of the columns and choose which columns will be shown. Those include: "Date" (enabled by default), "Date Created", "Date Modified", "Date taken".
The latter three are self-descriptive. The last one is taken from Exif.
The first one, I suspect is "adaptive", - i.e. depends on the type of the file. I see that for images, the first one is taken from "Data taken" (taken from Exif), at least in the default configuration (It might be possible to modify that behavior).

You can also right-click on the file in that same File Viewer, and select "Properties". Then you'll see all three dates "Created", "Modified", "Accessed" right there.

And then, if you click on "details" tab (still in that "properties" pop-up), you can see some details from EXIF, including the date.

HTH,

Igor