The way I scan medium format now uses the Leica BEOON copy device. It is
essentially a dedicated kit of extension tubes and a stand to take a Leica M
body and lens, with masks and settings for 1:1, 1:1.5, 1:2, and 1:3
reproduction ratio framings. With adapters, I fit my Leica SL body and
Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2.5 and use 1:3 for medium format film. I use a piece of
thick glass mounted on a pair of wooden blocks to hold it over my flat panel
light box, and made a negative guide/positioning jig for the stand by cutting
and gluing together a few pieces of thick card stock. The
negatives/transparencies lay absolutely flat, emulsion side down, on the glass;
a 6x6 negative becomes a 16 Mpixel frame with the SL.

The same thing could be done with a table top copy stand, a light box, and a
mask to hold the negatives. The BEOON is simply a dedicated, compact table top
copy stand. It cost me $250, an order of magnitude less than the Nikon Super
Coolscan 9000 ED!