It's amazing how much old Knob and tube is till in use. We still had about half our outlets and fixtures on it before rewiring this winter. The main runs of Knob and Tube were actually in pretty good shape, but the runs in the attic were buried under blown in insulation which makes them more of a fire hazard.

The really scary stuff were the outlets and fixtures added in the 40's and 50's. We found several where someone just spliced household grade extension cord wiring to the Knob and Tube and ran it through the walls without using conduit. The plastic insulation on the extension cord wire was all but gone in a few cases - and literally there were just two semi-bare wires behind a wooden baseboard or wooden lathe in the wall. Fire waiting to happen. Apparently using extension cord wiring like this was a common practice back in the day. I'm glad to see all the old stuff gone or disconnected.

Mark