Two-three years ago we bought the next-door small house as a rental property
(and to have a bit of control over who our neighbors would be.) The son-in-law
of the previous owner had “upgraded” many of the older two-prong electrical
outlets with modern three-prong “grounded" outlets. Unfortunately, the wiring
in the walls was all 2-conductor, no ground. That became an element in our
price negotiation strategy! After the purchase we had the entire house rewired
to modern standards. Relatively easy to do with a one-level house and access
from an attic above and an unfinished basement below.

Our house in Kansas City was two adjacent log cabins built in 1837-38,
remodeled in the 1880s, again in the early 1930s, again in the late 1970s not
too long before we bought it. Every time someone upgraded the electrical wiring
they left behind dangling bits of the predecessor wiring. We eventually did
some re-wiring in parts of that house to provide grounded circuits to the areas
where stereo and computer gear might be used. The ungrounded two-wire feeds
were mostly 1930s with braided cloth “insulation”. Scary stuff.

stan