On 6/27/2017 05:45, Ralf R Radermacher wrote:
Am 26.06.17 um 21:52 schrieb Toralf Lund:

I think most new cars no longer have a spare tyre as standard
equipment around here, although it may be available as an option.
Instead, some kind of repair kit is included. Typically a contraption
that will fill the tyre with a mixture of air and a gluey substance. I
guess it works pretty well on simple pinhole type punctures, but if
you get a proper tear you're in trouble...

There is another major drawback to this. A punctured tyre can usually be
vulcanised in a workshop and will be as good as new.

But not after the chemical repair kit has been used. Then it will only
be good for the way to the next garage at no more than 80 km/h. There,
you'll have to buy a new one. Now, have this happen with a tyre that's
worn by more than, say, a third and you'll have to buy not one but two
new tyres where you'd have had a simple 20 euro repair before.

With all my driving around in ports and former industrial sites I end up
with a punctured tyre about once a year. Buying one or two new tyres
each time would soon add up to a lot of money.

Ralf

When I was driving my MGB, I carried a spare tube & a kit for patching
punctured tubes, along with a couple of irons & a bottle of soap.
Eventually, I got pretty proficient at getting the the tube out & back in.