On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Marnie (aka Doe) <eactiv...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Why would you want to remove the yellow color cast? It is the way it looks
> in real life and we are all used to seeing that kind of light in rooms at
> night.

Well, for nicer skin tones for one. And for creative reasons for another.

We aren't slaves to what the camera happens to produce. It interprets
the scene one way and we are free to reinterpret that to the way we
see it in our own heads.

And in "real life" your brain adapts to the prevailing colour
temperature and attempts to make it appear neutral. So the world in
fact doesn't look blue when you are standing outdoors, except for a
brief moment when you head outside from a tungsten-lit interior.

> I buy CFL in that color range, BTW, because I can't stand blue casting
> fluorescent lighting. They say it's natural, day light, but, no, it's blue.

That's why the lamp sections in hardware stores are so big. Colour
temperatures for everyone's preferences. I prefer daylight balance in
some locations, but tungsten in others.

Warm colours supposedly help you to prepare for sleep, as I understand
it. They now make tricky lamps with ever-changing colour temperatures
that can slowly shift to warmer as evening progresses. They can be
programmed from an app on your mobile device or desktop PC.

--
-bmw