Since it's a backup only, and presuming that you haven't needed to retrieve
anything from it and don't need to now, I'd disconnect it, get another drive,
and create a new Time Machine backup. Then wipe this drive, connect it up, and
have it run as a second Time Machine backup. If it fails completely, you're
done. Otherwise, you have a second drive to use as you see fit.

I've had this happen from time to time. Hard drives are cheap these days: use
until they fail, then move on to the next one. There's no software I've ever
seen that can fix a broken volume file structure without risking the contents
of the drive anyway.

I have two 1T notebook class drives set up just this way for my Time Machine
backup … I created a new one in December, wiped and recreated a new one on the
second drive in May. I only need 1T backup drives because I only run Time
Machine on my main 1T system drive, and don't have it back up my Lightroom
catalog folders. Those are backed up by a separate system onto working and
archive drives whenever I touch them, along with the original image files.

—
The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.