Gonna be a whole lot less pain if it IS the enclosure though.

If it's the drive, his backups are hosed. Better if it's the
enclosure & he can recover the data.

On 7/2/2017 15:01, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
I've had my share of enclosure failures but all of them by the
low-priced enclosures.

The OWC "Elite Pro" enclosures run about $70-85 apiece (see
MacSales.com for details) and are very very reliable. Not one has
ever failed me; between my brother and I, we've been using them for
fifteen-eighteen years. My current ones for 3.5" drives support three
hardware protocols in their latest revisions (eSATA, FW800, and
USB3). They're very fast enclosures too. USB3 seems the most cost
effective speed for the money at the present; I have two Thunderbolt
SSD drives that are faster still but they're still double the price
for the capacity, at least.

Meanwhile, drives get full and/or flakey every few years of use. I've
swapped and upgraded drives periodically; each of my enclosures has
likely hosted up to three drives by now: no signs of failure yet.
Bare drives are pretty cheap these days for 2, 3, or 4 TB.