I have the 1st generation Sigma 70-200 f2.8. IMO its excellent on a cropped sensor. It if very good on a full frame camera but does show slight softness around the edges.

Here is a link to a full sized sample image taken on the K1, so you can judge for yourself:

http://www.markcassino.com/temp/MCCP1875.jpg

That image is untouched, except for bringing up the shadows in ACR. Not cropped
- hence the crooked horizon line. If you look very closely along the outer
edges, especially the water on the left, you can see some slight astigmatism.
When used on an APS C body, the slight defects are cropped out. You can also
see noticeable light fall off in the upper corners of the sample image - again
not an issue on APS-C.

I have not had issue with flare with this lens. The only issues I've had with
it are that the minimum focusing distance is not very good - about 6 feet - and
at temps below 0F (-18 C) the aperture malfunctions.

After testing I decided to keep this lens with the K1. If a 70-200 was my main
workhorse I would probably upgrade though, if only for closer minimum focusing
distance.

Hope this helps -

Mark

Steve Sharpe wrote:
What do people think of this lens? It looks like I have the opportunity
to buy one of these (used) for C$225. It is not the current model. I
think it's a few generations old and I do not think it has the "DG"
(digital grade) coatings. I cannot seem to find a review online for
this model. I have handled the lens though I have not tried it on a
body, and it appears to be in very good condition.

I already have three telezooms in this range, so I do not absolutely
*need* this lens. However, my current telezooms all have issues of one
sort or another, which the Sigma might solve. To start I would use it
on my K-3, but I am really looking to have a quality full frame
telezoom for when I upgrade to a K-1 (or whatever full frame DSLR
Pentax/Ricoh will be offering) in a year or two.

Thanks in advance for all your words of wisdom...or otherwise!

---

Steven Sharpe - The Office Gallery

d...@eastlink.ca

---