Thanks for the advice, Mark. I did end up buying the lens yesterday
after testing it - no purple fringes. On the K3 my example is tack
sharp when taken down two stops, and a little softer at F2.8 when
viewed at 100%, bit that is to be expected.

I also took some test shots on my "full-frame" camera (the MZ-S), but
it will be awhile before I am able to examine them...

So I am pleased for my C$225. If the aberrations turn out to be too
much when I get a full-frame DSLR...well, I'll cross that bridge when I
get to it.

Now the seller is trying to convince me to buy a 4X5 camera that he has
(actually he has four)...

Again, thanks to everyone who helped me in this!

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 16:50:52 -0400, Mark C wrote:
> I have the 1st generation Sigma 70-200 f2.8. IMO its excellent on a
> cropped sensor. It if very good on a full frame camera but does show
> slight softness around the edges.
>
> Here is a link to a full sized sample image taken on the K1, so you
> can judge for yourself:
>
> http://www.markcassino.com/temp/MCCP1875.jpg
>
> That image is untouched, except for bringing up the shadows in ACR.
> Not cropped - hence the crooked horizon line. If you look very
> closely along the outer edges, especially the water on the left, you
> can see some slight astigmatism. When used on an APS C body, the
> slight defects are cropped out. You can also see noticeable light
> fall off in the upper corners of the sample image - again not an
> issue on APS-C.
>
> I have not had issue with flare with this lens. The only issues I've
> had with it are that the minimum focusing distance is not very good -
> about 6 feet - and at temps below 0F (-18 C) the aperture
> malfunctions.
>
> After testing I decided to keep this lens with the K1. If a 70-200
> was my main workhorse I would probably upgrade though, if only for
> closer minimum focusing distance.
>
> Hope this helps -
>
> Mark
---