On Fri, 24 May 2002, Bruce Dayton wrote:

> I'll go with the 1 stop faster shutter, but on the flash synch, and
> flash control in general, the MZ-S and AF360FGZ are more capable save
> it be raw GN than the PZ-1p and AF500FTZ.

I agree.

> I didn't like the side mounted flash due to location of shadows on the
> sides of heads.

I've never used it, but I imagine the shadows would be softened or
nonexistent if you bounce the side flash off the ceiling and use the RTF
for some direct fill.  As a straight-on flash, the side one is probably
better at red-eye reduction, but must suck if there's a wall behind the
subject, as you point out.

> Never had a power zoom lens to see if I would really like/use that
> feature.

The other two effects were zoom effect (zoom blur... can we say "dated
gimmick"?) and image size tracking, which automatically zoomed the lens to
keep the subject a constant size.

> I have to say that I think the single biggest feature of the PZ-1p
> over the MZ-S is price.  It truly is a great deal on a body.
>
> Probably for the right shooter, the PZ-1p might be a better fit, but I
> always like to know what people actually use, rather than just items
> on a list.  That's why I asked the question.

Ah, I thought you just wanted the info.  I've never owned a Z-1p and have
only used one a couple of times.  Not really my style of camera.

chris