Chris,

I'll go with the 1 stop faster shutter, but on the flash synch, and
flash control in general, the MZ-S and AF360FGZ are more capable save
it be raw GN than the PZ-1p and AF500FTZ.

I didn't like the side mounted flash due to location of shadows on the
sides of heads.

Never used the "user" mode, even though I used two bodies for a couple
of years.

Never had a power zoom lens to see if I would really like/use that
feature.

I have to say that I think the single biggest feature of the PZ-1p
over the MZ-S is price.  It truly is a great deal on a body.

Probably for the right shooter, the PZ-1p might be a better fit, but I
always like to know what people actually use, rather than just items
on a list.  That's why I asked the question.

Bruce